Saturday 20 September 2008

makeyourpresentsfelt



Chrissie of 'makeyourpresentsfelt' calls herself 'a time-served Scots crafter'. Now living in England she has, for the last 30 years or so, lovingly made gifts for friends and family, or to decorate her home. 'I was always getting told off for "skiddling" when I was little (that's 'making a mess with water' to anyone who isn't Scottish!) so I'm in my element wet-felting.'

Inspired by heart shapes and the tactile finish of a hand-felted item Chrissie puts as much care as possible into everything she creates for sale. I can testify to this as I own some of her work. It is beautifully presented too. She truly makes it feel as it is was a gift for a special friend.






'My inspirations are usually drawn from wild country places, or from the vivid colours found in sunny Mediterranean countries, or dramatic city architecture. A particular inspiration is Ronel Jordaan, who designed pebbles for the women of the South African townships to make as part of a work-creation programme.'

Chrissie is also an artist with a heart: 'Because wet-felting uses a fair amount of water in the process, I make a monthly donation to the charity Wateraid, which helps provide clean and healthy water to people in the developing world. I also make sure I use eco-friendly soap in the felting process.' All her work is worth investigating, so rather than post links to individual items I want to direct you to her shop on Etsy where I'm sure you will find something to interest you.

9 comments:

  1. Great article! Chrissie's work is awesome. I have one of her bags, and love it to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic article! I love Chrissie's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great feature, Myfanwy!! I lOVE Chrissie's work...especially her flowers! I want one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That flower of Chrissie's is my favorite item in her shop. She is a wonderful artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post.
    Chrissie has some beautiful items. I love that she has found that great group to donate to. I've heard just a little bit about them and have been thinking of finding out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that's awesome how she gives back from her work! Beautiful work too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great feature. I love all of Chrissie's work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrissie's work is definitely in my favorites. I love her color combos and her work is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete